Antibiotics for Amoebiasis
Amoebiasis Gastroenteritis antibiotics
Amoebiasis, Amebiasis (Amoebiasis), Treatment-of-Amebiasis
Amoebiasis (also sometimes spelt amebiasis) is an infection caused by the parasite entamoeba histolytica. People living or travelling in developing countries are most at risk from the disease, which occurs when something infected with the parasite is eaten or swallowed.
The disease can progress to amoebic dysentery in the wide, lower part of the intestine and may spread to cause severe damage to the intestine. Amoebic abscesses may form in the liver, lungs, and brain and elsewhere in the body.
Symptoms of Amoebiasis
Around one in ten people who are infected with amoebiasis become ill from the disease.
The symptoms are not usually severe and may be mistaken for diarrhoea. They include:
Amebic dysentery is a severe form of amoebiasis. The symptoms of amoebic dysentery include:
Rarely, the infection invades the liver and causes an abscess. Even less commonly, it spreads to other parts of the body, such as the lungs or brain. If the disease has caused liver abscesses, there will be:
Sometimes an abscess may burst upwards through the diaphragm into the lung and the contents can be coughed up.
Symptoms usually develop one to four weeks after infection.
Causes of Amoebiasis
Amoebiasis is caused by a single-cell parasite called entamoeba histolytica. The parasite burrows into the wall of the intestine to cause small abscesses and ulcers. From there they enter the veins of the intestine and are carried to the liver. If enough of them reach the liver, they may cause large abscesses full of chocolate-brown or yellow pus consisting of broken-down liver tissue.
Amoebiasis is more likely to affect people who live or have travelled in developing countries, where sanitation and hygiene is poor. It occurs when a person eats or swallows something that has been infected with the entamoeba histolytica parasite. It is especially common in parts of the world where human excrement is used as fertiliser.
Amoebic dysentery can also be spread by anal sex or directly from person to person when personal hygiene is poor. Infection is most commonly caused by:
Treatment of AmoebiasisAmoebiasis is usually treated with a course of antibiotics. The most common antibiotic used for this condition is metronidazole. The standard dose is 750mg tablets, three times a day for between seven and ten days.
Other antibiotics used include tinidazole 800mg tablets, three times daily for five days and paromomycin in 25-25mg/kg, three times daily for seven days. Children will usually be prescribed much smaller doses.
Pregnant women should avoid taking antibiotics unless the condition is threatening the long-term health of the mother or baby.
If you develop an amoebic liver abscess and have not responded well to antibiotic treatment after seven days, or there is a high risk that the abscess may rupture, your doctor may suggest a small operation to drain the abscess. This will involve placing a small rubber tube called a catheter in the abscess to drain out the fluid.
In very rare cases, when there are serious complications such as peritonitis (when bacteria from the intestine spills into the peritoneum), surgery may be necessary to help the doctor understand more fully what is happening inside the abdomen.
Diloxanide furoate PO 500 mg tds for 10 days (child >25kg 20mg/kg daily in 3 divided doses)
Treatment of Amoebiasis in Children
Anyway give syp ofloxacin + nitazoxide combination 5-6ml 2 times daily, prebiotic & probiotic combination 2 times daily, give who-ors after every motion. give banana, curd more for 3 days.
Prevention of Amoebiasis
Amoebiasis can be prevented by good hygiene and sanitary conditions. This is taken for granted in most of the western world, but is an enormous challenge for people living in poor conditions in developing countries, where there is poor or no access to fresh water and disinfectant.
If you are travelling to a country that has a high risk of contamination by the entamoeba histolytica parasite:
The risk of spreading the infection is greatly reduced by getting treatment as quickly as possible after infection and practising good hygiene. In particular, this means regular hand washing with soap and water, after using the toilet, changing babies? nappies and before handling food.